Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Been a Weekend

Well, a weekend and a Monday. It's been crazy.

We got up early on Saturday morning to go to the farmer's market. From there we headed downtown for some antiquing. In making the best out of our house, I decided that I needed an island to supplement the one square foot of counter space I had. Problem is, I didn't want to spend $1000 to have one made. So I got an idea... and in the second shop that we stopped in, it became a reality. I now have a vintage enamel top primitive farm table for my kitchen - and I'm absolutely in LOVE with it. It's gorgeous, fits with the oldness of our house, is the perfect height for a short little woman and adds some much needed space to our kitchen. It's perfect! And I got it for $80... down from twice that amount. And I was able to keep with our not wanting to buy new but rather reuse already loved items pact. I'll be posting pictures when I get a chance.

When my husband went to go pick it up (we had to come home to take the car seat out of the car), he also picked up a solid cream basin and pitcher. I had been looking for a solid basin and pitcher since before we were married, but could only find ones with flowers and decorations. Another antique at a good deal; he only paid $30. Which, for a nice basin and pitcher is a steal. It now sits on my new table and I plan to get some flowers to put in it.

After we found it, we went next door and had some amazing coffee (decaf for me) with fresh bagels and then walked around downtown for a bit. We spent the rest of the day at home until it was time to go to a baby shower for a girl at our church. She even came to me for advice on baby carriers, so it was nice.

Sunday we taught the teens in Sunday School and apparently, it was a crazy adult Sunday School as well. At about 10:45 we gather the kids from the classrooms and move to the sanctuary. Well, as we're going to leave, the Sunday School director came in and said to hold the kids, that the pastor was mad at the devil and had JUST gotten started on his actual message. So, we waited for a little while and then went in late. I don't really know what he was mad at the devil about since I was teaching, but it must have been something because last night the entire church flooded - no one else in the area flooded. And the place where there was the most standing water was the pastor's office. Craziness I tell you. But, the wall that was most damaged is the one that we're planning on tearing down to build a bigger sanctuary, so it's actually a blessing. Funny how that works out.

Today was absolutely insane as well. Until I sat down to write this, I had spent about 20 minutes at home all day from when we first left. The day started out regularly enough; my husband got up and showered and then came to get me up. He was in the front bathroom fixing his hair and I went in to draw water for a bath. Since Audrey was still asleep, I decided I would close the door so that the water wouldn't wake her. I have done this tons of times. Well, the 100+ year old knob on our 100+ year old broke - locking my husband and I inside the bathroom! The hinges to the door are on the hallway side, so we couldn't unhinge it. We couldn't climb out of the window because: A. It's sealed shut. B. There's a privacy screen on it that we'd have to take off. C. It's about an 8 foot drop down to the ground. D. Even if we wanted to go through A-C, it's a high window and would not be easy to get out of in the first place. And then we would still be locked out of the house.

So, my husband and I used my favorite pair of tweezers to unscrew the door knob from the door. This took about 45 minutes. The entire time I was paranoid that Audrey would wake up and get freaked out when she could find us. Then he kicked the door open. Thankfully, the noise of that had just woken Auds up but she was still in her bed so she didn't get hit. We then took the door off the hinges because Auds loves to close that door and we didn't want it happening again.

From there, we went to the doctor where I was informed I'd get the GBS test... no warning. Not fun. But, I was able to go over my birth plan, have my OB sign off on it, and told her that I didn't want weekly exams to check progress. She was okay with it. And I talked to them about how the deductible situation was handled last time. Apparently, the person who used to do the accounts wasn't doing their job and was fired for not letting patients know about what they need to pay. But she agreed that it was insane to fork over $3500 in three weeks and I should get the same amount of time that everyone else is allotted.

The day didn't end there... we grabbed a quick bite to eat (nasty fast food that we typically don't eat, but it was all that was available on the road) and stopped in at the fabric shop. Why did we stop at the fabric shop? To get fabric to make curtains for the front bathroom since it's without a door. But since I have no idea how to sew, I took it to my friend who made the curtains for me - such an angel. They're fabulous and fit perfectly. Pictures of that to come as well.

While she was sewing, I told her how I wanted to get a play house for Auds and had been looking around and found a thrift store that had a bunch. So, she got her husband and his farm truck to come with to the store to check it out. She got a pretty much brand new slide for her daughter (who is one of Auds' best friends) since they had been given a play house already. I was able to get a play house and a slide for...... $30! Those play houses run in the $300s and I was able to get one and a slide for a tenth of that! I was stoked. I've decided that I'm gonna battle those animals. If the lady down the road doesn't keep up with her animals, I'm going to call animal control. My kids shouldn't be quarantined to the house because she wants to feed the strays. Oh yeah, I'm getting ornery. And her husband loaded everything up on his truck and brought it to my house for me. Awesome, awesome guy.

We then scarfed down dinner, I hung the curtains and we ran out the door to prayer meeting. After prayer meeting we had musician and singer practice where we went over guidelines and actually "tried out" for various parts. There was a lady there who teaches music and we had to sing "Amazing Grace" on a scale and she'd recommend where we would sing. I'm an alto, in case you were wondering. After all that, we still had to learn a song. We were at church from 7:00 until 11:00. I love church, but thank God that all the practices aren't going to go that long! Thankfully, Audrey passed out as soon as we got home.

So, I have a "new" kitchen island, a pretty pitcher and basin, no door on my bathroom, curtains up, a play house and a slide, a flooded church and it is supposed to absolutely pour tomorrow. We're not even sure if we'll be able to get inside the sanctuary tomorrow night to have church (we had prayer in the fellowship hall tonight - and it was a great prayer meeting, too). If it floods again, we'll just have another prayer meeting.

Oy. I need a rest from my weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Yay for the table. We need pictures :)

    That's great news that the doc will let you do some sort of payment plan. I was wondering how that situation had turned out.

    And Im happy you're going to do something about the animals! You deserve yo be able to sleep and enjoy being outside without dealing with Cujo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im = I'm

    yo = to

    It's early and I can't have coffee. Sorry :)

    ReplyDelete