Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Head Coverings

I know I promised sensory bin pictures, and I will... but someone keeps interrupting me and demanding to play with her stuff inside. What's a mommy to do when an angel comes up and says "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE, Mommy?" with the biggest cheesy grin ever?

Anyway, this is a follow up to my birthday post where I wrote about what fantastic things I bought myself for my birthday. Well, rather, I ordered them myself at the urging of my husband with birthday money I received. My husband had ordered my previous head coverings from a wonderful shop called Garlands of Grace (that I may or may not have purposely ooh'd and ahh'd over in front of him) for my birthday last year. Since those two were cream (a snood and a wide headband), it was about time to get some more versatile options to throw in the mix.

Now, I have a couple more, but they don't go with nearly enough stuff to be regulars. One is a gorgeous mustard yellow crocheted covering with a flower on it. It's beautiful, and I love it. But seeing that it's only cold here for about half of a month (seriously, 20s one day 60s the next), four months a year and it's sweltering hot the rest of the time, it's just not a practical one. I also have a khaki flowered one, a pink flowered one, and a black one... these are actually scarves that I found on clearance that I just tie as a head covering. It works.

I wish that I had any ounce of sewing skills so I could make some of my own. But, between a toddler, a coming baby, a business, and a potential move who has the time to learn? Enter GoG.

Here's what I ordered:

I don't know if I'm hip enough to pull off the rosette, but it's so pretty I had to order it and see. I love the idea of a snood, and adore mine, but when I'm running out of the house, it's so much easier to put a very wide headband on and just tie my hair in a bun. With a snood, I always have the issue of it falling off (maybe I'm snood-stupid, or maybe it's my toddler trying to steal Mommy's "hair pin" for herself), and then I have to replace it and retie it. With something like this, I just push it back like a head band. I got the brown in hopes that it will go with a lot.


This is the other one I ordered, in the Vanilla. It can be worn as either a wide headband or can be stretched out to cover everything... best of both worlds. I love this one (it's actually the one I initially wanted last year, but I love my snood and my band that my husband bought so I didn't complain) and love that they added the little lace detail to the original pattern. It makes it fun, but can still be casual or dressy.

Speaking of head coverings, I just have to brag on Auds for a second. It's likely just a phase, and I know she sees no spiritual meaning to it other than the fact that Mommy covers her hair, but she's been asking me to fix her hair every day now. She wants a high pony tail (I typically arrange my hair up high in some fashion), a headband and a bow to match her outfit. And she'll say "Mommy has a hair pin. I have a hair pin." *sigh* She's too cute. It's so fun to watch her make connections and learn every day.

I can't wait until she's older and we can talk about stuff like that. Right now, all she knows is it is okay to be modest and feminine, that God is good, that baby Jesus was born and that Daddy prays a lot. Not to say I don't pray... haha. I know that last part can seem bad on me. We have weekly prayer meetings for whoever wants to attend in addition to services. Since my husband is a minister, he goes up to the altar to pray for people and comfort them while Auds and I stay towards the back of the church and I pray quietly while chasing her around. Anyway, I think she's on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful. Let me know how you like the lace detailed headband, because I've contemplated getting some myself. I have a green snood with that same lace/material and I love it.

    As for keeping the snoods in place, it only works for me if my hair is already in a bun. If I leave my hair down in the snood it is too heavy and it pulls it back on my head. I dislike how my snoods look with a big bun in the back, but it's the only option for my heavy hair (other than big pins on the side of my head that take away from how pretty the snood is). You just can't beat a good snood on a Sunday morning - it makes getting ready take all of five minutes!

    ReplyDelete