Saturday, January 8, 2011

I Have So Much to Write About

And it will have to wait for another time. I know, I'm a tease.

The first subject is the new sensory/imagination boxes that I made for Audrey. I can't write about them yet because I can't take pictures of them yet. And I can't take pictures of them yet because someone is obsessed with them. I'll never get her to sleep if I take one out now. And I'll never get to actually take pictures if I try when she's awake. They're great, and she loves them, so that's a hit in my book.

The second is my kohlrabi pickle recipe. We got up at 5 this morning to head out to the local farmers' market that I have missed oh so much. We used to go as a family every Saturday. Then I got pregnant and had really bad morning sickness and the smell of the produce made me sick. Then I got into busy season for weddings and portraits and had something booked every Saturday. Well, now things have calmed down so we got a chance to go! I was so excited!

We got kohlrabi, mustard greens, cauliflower bigger than my daughter's head, broccoli, turnips and some satsumas. I made the mustard greens tonight for dinner and it was delicious! I have been having a craving for it for months and months, but since it is a winter veggie I couldn't get any. Well, now it's season and I'm thrilled.

Quick recipe:

Warm a deep frying pan, melt some fat. (I use bacon drippings that I keep in a jar on top of my stove. I feel that natural fat is much better than all of that processed junk they pass off in the store, so I always keep it on hand. It's great for cooking. I really don't know what else you could sub for it that wouldn't mess up the taste, but you're welcome to experiment.) Once the fat is melted, add your well washed leaves (de-stemmed) and toss around. Add water to help steam the leaves until they absorb everything. Season as desired. I'm partial to some Tony Chachere's and salt, but that's just me.

There's a local farmer who grows purple haze carrots and I was so sad when we couldn't buy them. Audrey is allergic to carrots, and she's at the age now where if she sees us having them, she will want them. So to avoid a fight, we don't keep carrots or corn products in the house. If you can find them, try them. Steam them with a little butter. And die a happy person.

We also stocked up on a bunch of meat. I'm in the process of trying to find a local butcher that isn't outrageous in price. Until I find him (or her) I buy meat at the local market when it's 5 packages for $20. So, I need to prepare, wrap, freeze and label all of that tonight.

However, if I have time tomorrow, I'll make the pickles and include the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the boxes or the recipe.

    I'm also insanely jealous that you are able to go to a Farmer's Market in January. Up here in Ohio they are only open from May - October. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it so much that we have it open year round. May - October seems like such a short time!

    ReplyDelete