Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Can Explain!

I know, I've been a bad blogger lately (for the two who might actually read - how do you get more people, by the way?). But, wait, I can explain! Feel free to skip this post, it's long!

See, the thing is... gosh how many times have I said that in my life? Anyway..

So Thursday I traveled an hour away to do newborn photos and family photos of my friend in this post who just had her baby. Her son and Auds are boyfriend/girlfriend, so when we visit it's an all day thing. I would have blogged that evening, but one of their kin stopped by out of the blue and parked me in. By the time she left, the man of the house refused to let me leave without having dinner first. He knows my work schedule and that I often never eat on photo shoot days. So, it was a late night when I got home.

Friday we were supposed to have story time and a play date. Auds didn't want to eat her breakfast and kept asking me to hold her. So I picked her up and no sooner than we crossed the threshold into the living room, she threw up all over the place. On me, the rug, the couch, the pillows, herself. It was a mess. It just kept coming, even after my husband ran to get a bucket. Poor thing had never been sick before so she didn't know what was going on. So, we cuddled together on the couch and she managed to keep down some toast later on.

Saturday I had a wedding across state. We had enough time to get ready in the morning, pack all of the necessary stuff - wedding attire, camera equipment, nausea medications, cloth diapers, change of clothes, toys, everything else that is needed when you spend a large amount of time away.

Sunday was Halloween which I wrote about in the last post.

Monday was a bad day for me. I had a horrible case of morning sickness. I promised to write a little bit, but that never happened.

Tuesday we had a Mommy and Me class, Audrey refused to nap all day and it was just about rough all over. Then it got better... we went out to vote (Audrey kept telling everyone that she passed "I vote! I vote!" It was adorable). I hand them my license and I'm not in the book. So they call the registrar, I'm not registered to vote in this town. They look where I am registered... under my maiden name at the address I lived in during undergrad! When I got married, the DMV said they'd mail out my new voter registration card when I got my name changed. When we moved out here an hour away, the DMV said they'd mail out my new voter registration car when I got my address updated. THAT NEVER HAPPENED! But, they did keep my husband current in all of his information. How in the name of Whatty McWhatterson does that happen? But I have voted before... which is the weird thing. I want to earn my right to complain. So, that stunk. We grabbed some food on the way out and I got the wrong food - which is disastrous to a pregnant woman.

However, it was my spiritual birthday (I am 5- woohoo!) and I got to go to church. Auds fell asleep during service, which she never does, and I actually got to listen. It was especially nice to worship on such a special day for me.

Wednesday was awful! Well, it started out fine and by the end of the day I was just... ugh. Auds and I went to run some errands. She was a peach the whole time - didn't fuss, didn't fight was a delight to talk to. She didn't run into the road when we stopped at the orchard (10 lbs of oranges and 5 grapefruit for $10, by the way). She was an angel as I unloaded everything and put it in it's place. She ate all of her lunch, she napped, all was grand in our world. I couldn't sleep, so I checked my email during nap time. Stupidest thing ever.

Long story short, I was working on a custom graphic design work for a client. I was told it was approved, everything was "A GO!" and brought in the final proof and was waiting for a total order number. They emailed me a list basically stating that EVERYTHING needed to be changed, like yesterday. So, I wrote back a lengthy email about it. This was not good that I have an opinion and stand by my creative work, that I have proof that it was approved and intended to be printed, so a meeting for today was set up. It gave me enough time to seethe and become bitter - not something fun. That just put the rest of the evening in a funk.

Today we had a play date, which was very nice and relaxing for me as well as fun for Auds, before my meeting. I prayed the whole way there for peace and control of my emotions, guidance, wisdom, God to be there, yadda yadda. I felt justified. I had the written approval. They've had my initial design since I put in a proposal in August - if they didn't like it, they had 2 months to tell me. In my proposal I placed the Web addresses to my site and business blog, so they could have looked up what my previous work was like. I am very much more of a natural and modern photographer and not a stuffy Olan Mills. If you like Olan Mills, go to Olan Mills, if you want something with a lot of personality, come to me. I had spent HOURS and DAYS working on this project - more than I do for portrait sessions and weddings typically. I was even told it was the best product they had had in a decade.

So, I get in there... all of this means NOTHING! They tore apart every little possible thing that could have possibly been torn apart. They requested outrageous changes IN ADDITION to all of the numerous changes that I previously made. They spoke to me as if I was a petulant 4 year old by standing by my creative judgment - which they initially said they loved. But I was calm, I didn't raise my voice, I didn't cry, and I just had a very peaceful attitude - thanks to God.

I got home this afternoon and have been working on the revisions since. This is my little break. That has been my week. It's a good thing that with November around the corner I have the extra extra motivation to stay focused on my blessings and not the bad stuff. Coz without focusing on God and his merciful provisions, I likely would have lost my mind by now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment