Thursday, October 21, 2010

Aw, Babies!

I promise to write a more substantial post later today since I won't be writing anything this weekend since I have a wedding to shoot, wedding pictures to deliver, a family trip to the pumpkin patch scheduled and family portraits to deliver. I promise to post pictures of the pumpkin patch - I can't wait to see Audrey run around and look for the perfect pumpkins for her and Tony.

But anyway, about the title - one of my best friends had her baby this morning! I'm so excited for her! I was supposed to photograph the birth, but that didn't quite happen as planned. She went into early labor at midnight and sent me a text as soon as she did. When she gave birth to her son, Audrey's boyfriend, she was in labor for well over a day and it went very slowly. She was over a week overdue and figured that the labor for her daughter would be the same way.

So we texted each other back and forth until a little after 1:00am about how she was doing, who would watch Audrey for me when I was over there at the hospital (she lives an hour away), and how excited I was. She said she didn't think anything was happening quickly enough, so she'd call me when it did. I was so excited and running through logistics in my head so much that I couldn't sleep.

My husband got me up for morning prayer, he actually let me sleep in an extra 15 minutes, and I hadn't gotten a call. I figured that she'd call soon and the moment she did, I'd be out the door. So we prayed and whatnot and still no call. I figured that since I was supposed to have a birth to photograph today, a night wedding tomorrow, pumpkin patch and photo delivery on Saturday and church and portrait delivery on Sunday that I would hop back in bed for just a second until she called so I could at least get some sleep before the weekend.

I was literally in bed for JUST a second before my phone rang. I figured it would be her telling me to get my behind over there pronto, but it wasn't. Baby girl had been born just 20 minutes earlier at home with the help of her doula! She called her doula a little after 3 and the doula arrived shortly after 4. A little before 5, my friend had to go to the restroom. There she was going about her business when her water broke and her little girl crowned! Baby girl was born at 5:15!

Her son didn't even wake up! All of her daughter's clothes were in the same room her son was sleeping in, so the baby was just wrapped up in a blanket with no diaper on happy as can be with Mommy and snuggling up tight. I'm just so thrilled thinking about it! So she called me about a half an hour later to tell me the good news and while I'm sad I wasn't there for her, I'm over the moon! As we were on the phone, the ambulance was arriving to take them to the hospital so she had to go wake her son up.

All of my friends are having babies right now, and being pregnant myself I darned near want to cry over every single labor update text message I get!

I'll try to write later and include more pictures of my fall decor and a full shot of my living room and also post a recipe to my 1 Hour Sweet Bread. This stuff will change your life... or at least taste REALLY good with a bunch of butter spread all over it!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful birth story. I am glad mom and baby are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's me! :)

    Glad you started a blog, lady. It's good up-at-night-nursing reading material. But the little flower child is sleeping now, so I need to be doing the same... see you (or your blog, rather) in a couple hours!

    ReplyDelete