Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Our Living Room in the Fall

Since all the blogs I look at show off their fabulous fall decor, I figured I would follow suit (all the cool kids are doing it!) and show off ours. Keep in mind that these pictures were taken right before nap time, so I couldn't do tons and we can't have that much decor because Audrey likes to get into EVERYTHING. I also forgot to show off a whole room view and the awesome woodwork in our circa 1900 house. But, I can always put that in another post later, right?

Anyway, here we go!


This is my collection of every rose that my husband has gotten me throughout our relationship. I love them so much. The small vase towards the left actually holds my wedding bouquet. Let me tell you that it was not easy moving all of these across the state from the bustling college city we lived in to the sleepy country town where we now live. They're actually up there all year round, but they look particularly fallish, so I'm showing them off here.


They sit on top of our entertainment center. The doors are usually open, so when Audrey saw they were closed, she decided to jump in the picture and open them. There she is in her too-short-but-it's-okay-coz-we're-not-going-anywhere-today dress that she picked out and HAD to wear. Still adorable if you ask me. But here you can see that they really match our wall color, my bright red curtains and the green and tan rug. The floors are the original cypress that just look gorgeous year-round. Never mind that tower fan (although it is awesome); when it gets 100+ degrees here, fans are our friends.


Here it is with the doors open. Yes, we were watching vintage Elmo rented from the library. There he is talking to Dorothy. Audrey figured that the blog post needed some Elmo. That's what it looks like 99% of the time. We're actually not big TV watchers here, it's just on in the background. However, when something changes - the show stops or the door closes, she comes running to check it out.


This is what it looks like on the inside. Up top is our non-working CD player that I've had since I was, like, 8. It serves as a good radio though. And in front are pictures of us on our wedding day - the last actual pictures of just the two of us since I'm always behind the camera and not in front of it. On the left side of the TV are our library movies, put up nice and high to avoid little hands. On the bottom is our VCR/DVD player and my husband's ministry books. They cover various historical and theological topics and are actually really interesting. On the right is my tiny little corner that I get to decorate.


Here it is up close and personal. The vase in the back is full of potpourri and was a gift from one of the firms my husband clerked for in his law school days. It's actually really pretty and I intend to get a long, thin glass vase to put in it so I can put a candle in it. All of the pieces of glass are different colors and would look great lit up. The cross was a wedding present from my grandmother across the country who flew in for our wedding and we've seen twice since then. We always have a candle burning coz, well, our house is 110 years old and smells like it is 110 years old. The topper actually fits the bigger jar candles but not that one too well. But, it's cute and fall-y, so it stays.


Here is my fall pumpkin that rests in the entry way between my living room and photography studio. Excuse the scale, suitcase and record player in the background... they're in the studio area. Our house has these really great architectural details that make the house. I promise I'll take a picture of the woodwork soon to show you how pretty it is.


That's our entry table to the left of the pumpkin. It actually was my dining room table in my undergrad/pre-married days. I haven't found a table that I like enough to replace it, so it stays there for now. It's kind of a hodge podge area. Our shoes are kept in the apple baskets on the floor (which are frequently emptied out and played with). Audrey's shoes are kept in the dark brown basket under my rarely used purse, our nick nacks are kept in the small basket next to it with my Lysol and hand sanitizer collection behind that, our to-be-filed stuff is in the black and white damask print on the right.

The two tin cans are our evening devotion stuff. The smaller can has a bunch of Popsicle sticks with verses written on it. Audrey gets to pick one each evening. The Bible and the previously done Popsicle sticks are kept in the large can. Once we read the verse, she gets to put the stick in. This way, she gets to participate in devotion and it makes it a fun time. We're on Psalms now, so the can on the left says "Sing a Psalm" and the can on the right says "What We've Learned."

Does anyone have any idea on how to tidy the area up? This is pretty much what it looks like all the time and while it's not messy, it's not visually appealing. I'd welcome any ideas to help make it look nicer.


We have a matching picture on the opposite wall hanging over our chair. It has a matching wood area on the side (like where the pumpkin and clock are) where a really cute scarecrow plate sits that I forgot to take a picture of. Audrey thought that Gymbo needed to be in the picture, so here he is modeling the chair that we reupholstered.


Here is our couch that matches. Our couch used to be the Napoleon Dynamite couch. It was hideous and brown and just ugly. My husband's best man's grandmother gave it to us as a wedding present since we didn't have any furniture when we first got married. We were poor college folk then. So, I told my husband if he wanted it, he had to cover it. I even let him pick the material, with my final approval, of course. Let me say that a white couch and chair with a toddler and one on the way is not the best idea. But, when we redid the couch we didn't know how soon God would place children into our lives. My pregnancy hormones get the best of me sometimes and I threaten to throw it out. My rational side, however, stops me from doing that. I'll be sure to take a picture of it when we redo it again though. It really isn't that hard to reupholster furniture, just time consuming.

So there it is, my fall decorating in the living room. Not too much, but we don't have much space to put stuff so I try to make do. Any ideas for improvement?

No comments:

Post a Comment