Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Yarn: A Mom's Best Friend

It has been cold here. Like in the 40s cold. And we hate cold. But it is winter... That means a lot of days bundled up inside cuddling. However, as much as I love cuddling with my daughter and as much as she loves cuddling with Mommy and Tony, there's only so much that can be done before one of the aforementioned parties gets bored.

I was wracking my brain for ways to keep her entertained that weren't the same old, same old. Then I remembered an old skein of yarn I had from a photo shoot about a year ago. It took an entire day to untangle the massive bundle of loops and fuzz, but we did it. Yarn is so versatile!

Our first project was keeping it untangled, so we (mostly me, but she's my little helper) wrapped it around the cardboard part of a DVD case. It. works. perfectly. Try it, you should. Then we made yarn dolls. Audrey absolutely loves her Yarnie. She's got one because she absolutely loves dolls. We then made some for her friends' little siblings baby June and baby Colt because they make perfect teething toys! They can't choke on them (if I made them secure enough ;) ), they're washable, and they're not the typical cold plastic teething toys. Audrey HATED the plastic ones with a passion, but loved the cloth ones we had.

June got a girl doll and Colt got a boy doll. The yarn is various hues of blue and brown, so it's not too feminine for a boy. I will take pictures of those later. Audrey won't let me take her Yarnie, I can't let her see that there's another one in the house or she'll want it, and she's absolutely obsessed with cameras. She seriously found my little one and started taking pictures of people at prayer meeting on Monday. And this was not a quiet activity. She would scream "SMILE!" as she was doing it. Not a photographer's child at all.

Today we made God's Eyes. I remember making them way back in the days of summer camp. We already had the yarn and popsicle sticks (which are also very versatile) so we had another free craft. She has renamed them "cookies." I know I'm no Bakerella, but my cookies don't look that weird! I don't know where she got them. Yarnie is playing with the cookies, so pictures of those will be taken later as well.

One caveat... if you have colored popsicle sticks, don't let a toddler chew on them. Said child's teeth, tongue, mouth, face, hands and anything else in the nearby vicinity will be the same color. Audrey decided red was the color of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment