Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mission to Accomplish

We are nowhere near prepared for Tony. Thanks to his godmother, we have some covers for his prefolds (we'll be using the same ones we used for Auds... unless I can convince Honey to let me upgrade...). Otherwise, we have about 8-10 (I honestly can't remember) small FuzziBunz diapers, white onesies and and a few gender neutral sleepers from when Auds was a newborn. We're going to use her old car seat and stroller, which I got in a gender neutral pattern and we have the crib already side-carred. That actually sounds like a lot. But, as of right now, we need clothes, blankets, a new moses basket and stand, and a closet organizer. And we need to get some new FuzziBunz for Auds.

I'd say this is the point where I'd pull a Jessica :) and list out how much we've saved on cloth diapering. But we've only ever cloth diapered except for the occasional trip, so I have no info on that. I can't even tell you what diapers and wipes cost. We do get the natural wipes for when we're on the road and Audrey finds something sticky, but we go through those like one every couple of months.

Anyway, in addition to needing stuff for him, we also will very likely be moving (we'll know by the end of the year) right around the time he is born. So, I'm trying to compile a list of stuff to complete before March.

1. Buy bins from Wal-Mart. Bins are so much more sturdy than boxes and can be reused for various stuff from clothes to decorations to compost bins.

2. Pack up what isn't needed every day. This includes toys, bedding, clothes, dishes, studio stuff, craft stuff, movies and DVDs, and books. We're going to turn the teeny tiny guest room into a storage room. I'm sure that will look lovely.

3. Clean. I clean all.the.time. One of my best friends jokes with me coz I'll keep apologizing for the mess and she just can't see it. My water broke with Audrey after I dusted the ceiling. Maybe cleaning will kick-start labor.

4. Prepare food. I want to buy and chop veggies - the holy trinity (onions, celery, bell peppers), broccoli, kohlrabi (I have a great recipe for kohlrabi pickles, the whole house is thrilled that it's kohlrabi season again), and pretty much anything that's not carrots or corn. That way I can just grab some to cook with. No running to the store. No chopping with a newborn and a toddler. Just grab and throw.

5. Prepare dishes. I want to make and freeze a bunch of stuff to make it easy. Before I got pregnant and couldn't handle smells anymore, I'd make and freeze rolls, kolaches, pancakes and other stuff to make it super easy to make breakfast for us. I want to stock up on those and make dishes. Red beans, casseroles, lasagnas - any easy recipes would do.

6. Prepare meat. I do this anyway, but it's never bad to stock up. We can't afford to buy a whole cow, and don't know any one to go in portions with, so I buy meat when it's BOGO at the grocery and freeze it. Then I can just throw it in the crock pot or dutch oven and it's all good.

I know I'm missing probably a million things. What else needs to be done before a baby and a move?

1 comment:

  1. I want that kohlrabi recipe. My husband loves kohlrabi!

    ReplyDelete