Monday, December 6, 2010

We Could Never Be Catholic

This isn't a slam against Catholics at all, so don't worry. One of my best friends is a very devout Catholic. And I'm sure that had Audrey been brought up in a Catholic church she would know about the customs and how to be quiet. However, that was not the case yesterday at the baptism we went to.

The baptism was in a beautiful old cathedral and the prayers were said in Latin. Audrey, however, thought that the little book they gave us to translate was for her Dolly to read, so we didn't really know what was going on. She actually did fairly well for the most part. Until she noticed that there were stars on the ceiling. And stars on the tights of the little girl next to us. And when she realized that she was wearing her baby Jesus dress.

Audrey has the most beautiful nativity scene smocked dress that she just HAD to wear yesterday. She would look down and tell everyone she was wearing baby Jesus and point to him in the manger. Well, she started saying this very loudly in the church, and very much enjoyed her own echo. And then she took off to the back of the church to look at baby Jesus in the stained glass window. I must admit, it was funny and cute. Just not particularly appropriate at the time.

At least she sort of understood what was going on. I explained to her beforehand that we were going watch the baby get baptized. We personally feel it is a decision for each person to make on their own when they reach an age of accountability, and she's never seen a baby baptism. So, I tried to explain it to her as much as she could understand it. During the actual baptism she hollered out "Baby June gets 'tized!" That was pretty adorable.

I also learned that my daughter loves Veggie Tales a little too much. A friend of ours who was also there has a little boy named James, but everyone calls him Jimmy. Audrey saw him and said "It's baby Jimmy Gourd!" The associations her little mind makes amazes me sometimes.

We didn't get to see the house this weekend, the owner cancelled at the last minute. He was laying grout at a new house and due to our humid weather, it wasn't drying quickly and he had to stay there until it did. So, we're going to hopefully see it this coming Sunday. *fingers crossed*

Other than that, things have just been busy here. I got a little bit of food poisoning last night from eating fast food. I know it's never good to eat, but it was 7:30 at night and I hadn't eaten since noonish. And in a small town like ours on a Sunday evening, everything but the fast food places was closed. But I won't be eating from there ever again. Oy.

I'm going to try a new recipe for pork chops tonight. Usually I make sweet and spicy pork chops with honey and molasses and stuff. But tonight I think I'll try for some creamy mushroomy pork chops. I'll write a good report if one is worth writing. Until then, I've got some cuddling to do.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I'm sure Audrey wasn't as loud as you thought she was. I always apologize to people after church for my children being a distraction and they tell me they didn't even notice. I guess we as mothers are just more sensitive to it - that or people are just too polite to tell us that our children are distracting :)

    I'm with you on the Veggie Tales. My kids scream at the grocery store - it's Larry, it's Bob, it's Jimmy... Too funny!

    Mmmm. Dinner sounds good. What time should I stop by? :P

    ReplyDelete