Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Re-Organized Dishes

If you have cabinets in your house, feel free to disregard this post. We have a grand total of three in our house. Seriously, three cabinets. One is for pots, the other is for your standard under the sink stuff, and the last is for candles and frequently changed out mini home decor items (because I have NO place else to store them). And all three of these cabinets are on the bottom underneath the counter top. I didn't feel like stooping down to get dishes every time I needed one. So, that's why I'm glad out house has the original built-in china hutch.



This is where all of our dishes and glassware are contained. The part on the bottom? That's my pantry/cookware storage area. Yup, everything from chicken stock to organic coconut oil to cookie sheets is in that area. And, yes, it is held shut by a hair tie because my super strangely smart daughter has figured out child safety locks.

I didn't take before shots, coz I'm a bad blogger. But I'll tell you what I changed... aside from Auds' pink princess plate and her bowls, there's no more mess of plastic! Yes, I had all of her cups up there with the rest of our glasses. And it was quite an eye sore.

So how did I remedy that?


I took out silverware out of the drawer and put the milieu of plastic cups in there. Out of sight, out of mind. I took three coffee mugs and put our spoons, butter knives, and forks all in their own mug. You would think that this would take away from our coffee drinking habit, right? Not at all!

Why not? Because for some strange reason that I still haven't figured out, we have 20+ coffee mugs! We could have coffee every day and not wash dishes and still not run out of mugs for over two weeks.

But doesn't it look much nicer to only have one big, ugly plastic thing as opposed to 50 million? I think so!

Moral of the story: if you don't have any cabinets, or if you have too many coffee mugs, use them as storage. The possibilities are endless - silverware, pens, kitchen nick nacks, craft stuff... anything, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment