Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thanksgiving Thankfuls

Since it is the month of Thanksgiving, I have seen a lot of people in Internetland posting what they're thankful for daily. I even saw an idea for a "thankful tree" over at Crap I've Made. I LOVED the idea of starting a family tradition of recording something that we're thankful for, not necessarily in order, each day of the month. Although we thank God in our prayers multiple times a day, it is completely different to see it in writing how blessed we are. I needed it especially after my past week.

I knew there was no way that I could do the thankful tree at our house because Auds would tear it down in .002 seconds flat. But, we do have a beautiful entry way from our living room to our dining room that I could string our thanks from!

Each thing was purchased from Dollar Tree, so this project can be made for $4.00. It would be three, but I'll explain that in a second. The first item needed is a ball of twine. Just put up two thumbtacks wherever you want to hang your thanks and string it between. The next item is a bag of clothespins to hold it. The third is found in the teaching section. Since they didn't have die cut leaves at our store, I bought a leaf garland and just cut out the leaves. But, there's only 26 leaves, so you'll have to buy another garland for the other 4 days of the month.

Every day, write something you're thankful for, big or small on a leaf and hang it from your string. At the end of the month, you'll be amazed (or at least I'm anticipating that) at the blessings God rains down. And be sure to pin your leaves from the bottom. Pinning them from the top causes them to flip around.


Here is what it looks like all hung up. My husband kind of misjudged how much space he'd need (he's the only one who's tall enough to reach) so we'll likely re-hang them. So, give yourself lots of space with this project.


Here are our first four days of thanks. I'll likely post more of our thanks as they grow.

First and foremost is God, because we'd be nothing without Him.

Then we thought of family, because even though our extended families belong in padded rooms they are family and our small family unit is just a huge blessing. I wouldn't be able to hold it together somedays with out a big bear hug from my husband or an "I love you, Mommy!" from Auds.

Friends are next coz even though we may not have many, the ones we have are amazing.

And today's was prayer because it helped me not rip my 4 feet of hair out of my head. When you think about it, God does not have to allow us the opportunity to candidly speak to Him. But He does. That is just wonderful to think of - how much He loves us that he gives us that avenue to seek strength, guidance and reassurance!


Here's Auds stealing today's leaf. She LOVES this project. She likes to watch me write what we're thankful for that day as I tell her about it, watching Honey hang them up and looking up and pointing "Leaves!" Don't ask me why she's playing with a flash light - her daddy gave it to her. She likes to shine it in her eyes for some reason - kind of like looking at the sun.


I asked Auds to show me today's leaf and this is what I got. Gotta love toddlers!

Are you doing anything to be specifically cognizant of your blessings this month? Any nifty Thanksgiving family traditions?

1 comment:

  1. My sister did something similar with her children last year. She made the body of a turkey and then traced her children's little handprints onto colored construction paper. She had the children tell her things that they were thankful for and wrote one thing per hand, then organized them as the feathers on the turkey. It was adorable and I'm hoping to do the same thing with my boys this weekend!

    ReplyDelete