Friday, November 5, 2010

Rock You Like a Hurricane

I have seen hurricanes, apothecary jars and anything pretty and decorative and glass floating around everything from catalogs to blogs these days. And although I love Pottery Barn, I do not love their outrageous price tags for these items. What is a girl to do? Dollar Tree!

That has got to be one of my favorite stores because everything is $1. If Auds destroys something I don't get too upset, I can decorate my house for cheap, and I can get a little creative.

So here is what I came up with:


The top hurricane part, the base and the candle inside are all in the glass/candle/hardware aisle. Just glue the top to the bottom, and you're good to go. Just make sure to use a glue designed for glass like E6000 or Gorilla Glue, anything else won't really work. Or you could just rest them on top of each other, but that's not really safe with little toddler hands around.


This is a close up. These are little glass pumpkins. They also had baubles and acorns. Stick with the pumpkins, people. They're thin and they fit nicely around the inside candle. The colors are cute and vibrant and perfect for a Thanksgiving centerpiece or on your mantle (or side table if you're not lucky enough to be able to do either of those).


This is what happens when you use the larger acorns, although they are adorable. They WILL NOT fit around the candle, so you get a pushed-back half-and-half effect. But, when strategically placed so that the wonky side faces a wall, it's not really noticeable. If perfection is your thing and this would drive you batty, stick to the pumpkins.

I know the pictures aren't really that detailed, but they were taken at 1 this morning in my dead-tired-but-can't-sleep stupor. Give me a break!

1 comment: